Two dead in Israeli settlement synagogue collapse | Busy West Bank News

0
47


More than 150 were also injured after the collapse of the bleachers in an unfinished synagogue in the occupied West Bank.

Israeli doctors said at least two people were killed and more than 150 injured after a bleacher collapsed on Sunday in the wake of a major Jewish holiday in an unfinished synagogue in the occupied West Bank.

The bleachers were full of ultra-Orthodox worshipers and collapsed during prayers at the beginning of Shavuot. A spokesman for Magen David Adom told Channel 13 that paramedics had treated more than 157 people for injuries and reported two dead, a 50-year-old man and a 12-year-old boy.

Rescue workers were at the scene, treating the injured and taking people to the hospital. The collapse comes weeks after 45 ultra-Orthodox Jews died in a stampede at a religious festival in northern Israel.

The Israeli army said in a statement that it sent paramedics and other search and rescue troops to help at the scene. Army helicopters were transporting the wounded by plane.

Fans ’images showed the collapse Sunday night prayers at Givat Zeev, an illegal West Bank settlement north of Jerusalem.

The ultra-Orthodox synagogue was full of hundreds of people.

Shavuot is a spring harvest festival that also marks the day of the Jewish calendar on which the Torah was given to Moses on Mount Sinai. It is traditionally marked with the study of the Torah throughout the night and the consumption of dairy products.

Israeli authorities denied the guilt.

Mayor Givat Zeev said the building was unfinished and dangerous and police had ignored previous calls to take action. Jerusalem Police Chief Doron Turgeman said the disaster was a case of “negligence” and there would likely be arrests.

Deddi Simhi, head of Israel’s fire and rescue services, told Israel Channel 12 that “this building is not finished. It does not even have a permit to occupy it, and therefore even less to celebrate there events “.

Television footage of the scene showed the five-story building incomplete, with exposed concrete, armor and wooden boards and plastic sheets as windows. A Hebrew sign pasted on a wall of the building warned that “for security reasons, entry to the site is prohibited.”

Defense Minister Benny Gantz wrote on Twitter that “my heart is with the victims of the disaster in Givat Zeev.”

On April 29, a stampede at a religious festival in northern Israel killed 45 ultra-Orthodox Jews, the deadliest civil disaster in the country’s history.

The attack on Mount Meron came after years of warnings that the sacred site was unsafe for the tens of thousands of visitors it attracts each year for the Baomer Lake holidays.

Nearly 100,000 people, mostly ultra-Orthodox Jews, attended this year’s festivities after powerful ultra-Orthodox politicians pressured interim Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and others to lift attendance restrictions.

Experts had long warned that the Mount Meron complex was not adequately equipped to handle the huge crowds that flock there during the spring break and that the current state of the infrastructure posed a security risk.

The disaster provoked renewed criticism of the broad autonomy granted to the country’s powerful ultra-Orthodox minority.

Last year, many ultra-Orthodox communities rejected coronavirus safety restrictions, which contributed to high rates of outbreaks in their communities and angered the wider and secular public.





Source link