The US announces a 55mn dose allocation plan for COVID vaccine

0
22


Credit: Unsplash / CC0 Public Domain

The administration of U.S. President Joe Biden announced Monday its plan for the next tranche of 55 million doses of COVID vaccine it plans to ship to countries in need.

The donation will complete Washington’s initial promise of 80 million doses from its own supply of vaccines, made before the commitment to buy 500 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine for low- and middle-income countries.

Forty-one million of the 55 million doses (75 percent) are distributed through the Covax program, with the remaining 14 million (25 percent) shared with recipients the U.S. considers a priority.

Vaccines shared with Covax include 14 million for Latin America and the Caribbean, approximately 16 million for Asia and 10 million for Africa in coordination with the African Union.

The first stretch included Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Pfizer / BioNTech vaccines, but it was not immediately known what the second stretch would include.

A vaccine created by AstraZeneca has not yet been approved by the United States, but is used elsewhere.

As rich countries increase vaccinations and return to normal, COVID cases are rising elsewhere, including in South America and Africa. Less than a percentage of COVID doses have been administered worldwide to people of .

“The Biden administration plan to share more COVID-19 globally it will help end the pandemic more quickly and save lives, ”said Tom Hart, general manager of The One campaign to eradicate poverty and preventable disease.


Vaccination companies pledge to provide 3.5 billion doses of COVID for the poorest nations


© 2021 AFP

Citation: US announces 55mn COVID vaccine dose allocation plan (2021, June 21) recovered on June 22, 2021 at https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-06-allocation-mn -covid-vaccine-doses.html

This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair treatment for private study or research purposes, no part may be reproduced without written permission. Content is provided for informational purposes only.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here