The number of deaths from the virus in India exceeds 400,000; experts say it is higher

0
115


On May 11, 2021, a photo from the archive, family members and volunteers carry the body of a COVID-19 victim by incineration in New Delhi, India. The latest alarming coronavirus variant – the delta variant, first identified in India – is exploiting low global vaccination rates and a rush to ease pandemic restrictions, adding a new urgency to the unit to get more shots at arms and curb their supercharged extension. Credit: AP Photo / Amit Sharma, File

India on Friday crossed the milestone of more than 400,000 people lost due to coronavirus, a figure that, while believed to be massive, is a lot lower due to lack of evidence and reports.

More than half of the deaths reported by coronavirus in India, the third in all countries, have occurred over the past two months as the delta variant of the virus was eroded across the country and overwhelmed the system. health you already have.

New cases are declining after exceeding 400,000 daily in May, but authorities are preparing for another possible wave and trying to increase vaccination.

The Ministry of Health said 853 people had died in the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll to 400,312. It also reported 46,617 new cases, which caused the country’s pandemic to exceed 30.4 million.

India, a country of about 1.4 billion people, is the third to cross 400,000 deaths, after the United States and Brazil.

Experts believe the deaths and infections reported in India are an insufficient number of people. They say an incalculable number of people died during the April and May march outside hospitals and before the virus could be tested.

A model of the University of Washington The Institute of Metrics and Health Assessment estimates that there have been more than 1.1 million deaths from COVID-19 in India.

India’s federal ministers of ruling party Bharatiya Janata have dismissed reports of sub-accounts as exaggerated and misleading.

While cases are dwindling, experts are concerned that India may be at risk of causing a new rise in the virus because less than 5% of the population has been fully vaccinated.

Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said on Wednesday that the speed of vaccination has increased after a new policy announced last month ended a complex system of buying and distributing vaccines that overburdened states and caused inequalities in the way what the shots were distributed.

Under the new policy, the federal government will buy 75% of all vaccines used in India and give them away for free to the states. Private hospitals can buy the remaining 25% at limited prices and can charge them.

Vardhan also said the government will make 120 million doses available in July.

The hope is that India will achieve a rapid increase in inoculations in the coming months. Last month, the head of India’s COVID-19 working group told reporters that in December about 2 billion doses could be available under a roadmap that depends on India’s two main suppliers: Serum Institute of India and Bharat Biotech, which will increase production and five other potential vaccines will be available in the coming months.

But some have raised questions about whether this is a realistic estimate, as the country’s two main suppliers have struggled to boost manufacturing.

It was announced on Tuesday that the Moderna shot will soon be the fourth vaccine to be administered in India after the AstraZeneca shot, Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin and Russia’s Sputnik.

Zydus Cadilla, of India, has also applied to the government drug controller for emergency use authorization for his DNA vaccine. The vaccine can be used for both adults and youth in the 12- to 18-year-old age group, the company said Wednesday.


India approves Modern COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use


© 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Citation: The number of deaths from the virus in India exceeds 400,000; experts say it is highest (July 2, 2021), retrieved July 2, 2021 at https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-07-india-virus-death-toll-tops.html

This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair treatment for the purposes of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without written permission. Content is provided for informational purposes only.





Source link