Sudanese protesters mark second anniversary of army crackdown News of protests


According to activists, the 2019 raid on a protest camp in Khartoum killed at least 128 people, and the families of the victims were still demanding justice.

Thousands of Sudanese have gathered in Khartoum on the second anniversary of a bloody crackdown by security forces in a major democratic protest in the capital, demanding justice for several dead people.

June 3, 2019 repression at the protest camp outside the military headquarters in Khartoum and elsewhere in the country, it came weeks after the military ousted President Omar al-Bashir for years after months of protests against his nearly 30-year-old government. years.

Organizers of the protest, who had initially gathered to resist Al-Bashir’s government but remained after his ouster to demand a transition to the civilian population, say security forces killed at least 128 people during the violence. Many saw the incident as a turning point in the relationship between the military generals, who have refused to order the assassination, and the protest movement.

The military transitional civilian government that currently governs Sudan created an independent committee in 2019 to investigate the crackdown, which also involved what activists describe as a campaign of rape and sexual misconduct by troops ordered by the military to crush the pro-democracy movement.

Sudanese protesters demand justice for the June 2019 crackdown [Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah/Reuters]

However, the court of inquiry has repeatedly omitted its deadlines to denounce and infuriate the families and rights groups of the victims.

According to Khartoum reporter Hiba Morgan of Al Jazeera, although this is not the first time Sudanese protesters have taken to the streets to demand justice since the massacre, “frustration this time is very evident.”

He said promises that the government would work to speed up the investigation have done little to calm the anger.

“People say they have heard these promises and statements from the government over and over again. They say this is not the first time the government has committed to speeding up investigations and doing justice, “Morgan said.

“They say they’re tired … fed up with the promises this government has given them, so they’ve taken to the streets once again.”

Carrying the Sudanese flag and banners demanding justice, the protesters marched towards the cabinet building and the prosecution, some singing the national anthem.

“We came here to mark the massacre of the place and show that even after the removal of Al-Bashir, people continue to suffer,” Eman Babiker, 24, told AFP news agency. he complained of unbridled unemployment.

“We want to send a message to the government that we can always take to the streets if they don’t get justice to the dead,” said Walid Shazli, another protester.

“Slowing down justice”

On Wednesday night, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said his government has done everything possible to get justice.

However, he admitted that the “complicated ties” with security agencies overseen by military generals “have sometimes slowed down justice and delayed the submission of information” that prosecutors need for their investigations.

Prior to Thursday’s protests, Sudanese authorities had closed the main roads leading to the army headquarters and urged protesters to stay away from the site.

In May, security forces dispersed a similar demonstration and killed two people and causing injuries to dozens.

Later, the Sudanese army said it had handed prosecutors a list of army personnel suspected of involvement in the killings.

Sudanese protesters march in the capital Khartoum [Shraf Shazly/AFP]

Source link