Some accused in the Haitian assassination had US military training Military News

0
132


The Pentagon said some of the former Colombian soldiers accused of assassinating Haitian President Jovenel Moise were trained by the U.S.

A small number of former Colombian soldiers accused of participating in the murder Haiti’s president, Jovenel Moise, had received military training from the United States in the past this month, the U.S. Pentagon said Thursday.

Haitian authorities have said Moses was shot at his home on July 7 by a unit of assassins, including 26 Colombians and two Haitian Americans.

Eighteen Colombians have been arrested and three others have been killed by police. Families and colleagues in Colombia have told reporters that the men were hired to act as bodyguards.

“A review of our training databases indicates that a small number of Colombian people detained as part of this investigation had participated in past U.S. military education and training programs while serving as active members of the Colombian military forces, “Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Ken Hoffman said in a statement sent to Al Jazeera.

Hoffman did not say how many of the detained Colombians had received training.

The U.S. military routinely trains service members in the region, he said, adding that the training “emphasizes and promotes respect for human rights, rule of law, and the military subordinate to elected civilian leadership.” democratically “.

The American security company is being examined

Meanwhile, the small security company in Miami, Florida, which hired former Colombian soldiers, is being questioned about its role in Moise’s assassination.

Antonio “Tony” Intriago, the owner of CTU Security, was presented with what seemed like a good opportunity: finding people with military experience to work in Haiti. Intriago is now under the control of Haitian and Colombian police officers.

On Wednesday, Leon Charles, head of the Haitian National Police, accused Intriago of traveling to Haiti several times as part of the murder plot and signing a contract there, but did not provide any other details and did not offer tests.

“The investigation is very advanced,” Charles said.

Charles previously announced the stop of the alleged mastermind behind the murder plot, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, 63, a Haitian living in Florida and hired CTU Security.

“He arrived by private jet in June for political purposes and contacted a private security company to recruit the people who committed this act,” Charles said Sunday.

Colombia’s national police chief, General Jorge Luis Vargas, has said that CTU Security used his company’s credit card to buy 19 plane tickets from Bogota to Santo Domingo for Colombian suspects involved in the murder. One of the murdered Colombians, Duberney Capador, photographed himself in a black CTU safety T-shirt.

Nelson Romero Velasquez, a former soldier and lawyer who advises 16 families of Colombians detained in Haiti, said Wednesday that all the men had served in the elite special forces of the Colombian army and that they could operate undetected if they so wished. . He said his behavior made it clear that they were not going to Haiti to assassinate the president.

“They have the ability to be like the shadows,” Romero Velasquez said.

The pre-morning attack took place in the president’s private home. He was shot dead and his wife was injured. It is unclear who pulled the trigger. Among the latest suspects identified in the thorough investigation were a former Haitian senator, a fired government official and a U.S. government informant.

Homeland Security Investigations, a U.S. agency tasked with investigating crimes that cross international borders, is also investigating the murder, a National Security Department official told the Associated Press who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the case. He declined to provide details.

The FBI has said it is “providing investigative assistance” to Haitian authorities.

Intriago, who emigrated from Venezuela more than a decade ago and participated in activities in Miami to oppose the left-wing regime in his homeland, did not respond to the Associated Press’ multiple requests for an interview. .





Source link