Salad dressings are also the only way some parents get their kids to eat vegetables. They certainly have their place, but the in-store purchases are loaded with omega-6 oils and preservatives. Healthy salad dressings, on the other hand, can be a great way to get a good portion of healthy fats.
Favorite homemade salad recipes
Salad dressings were my previous vice. I would eat ranches on anything. In fact, I will always be grateful to him for loving my broccoli. Now that we eat real food, I keep a specific recipe tab for homemade condiments and I’ve loved them. I can even set one up in a restaurant to have all the ingredients “next to me”.
My current favorite home dressing recipes are:
Creamy homemade Caesar marinade
- An egg yolk at room temperature (it is very important that it is not cold!)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of mustard or ground mustard
- 1 TBSP of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
- sal, pepper, and spices to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Beat the egg yolk with the blender or blender on low speed.
- Once creamy, add the vinegar and other ingredients except the oil and mix until creamy.
- Add the oil slowly, stirring constantly until incorporated.
- If not incorporated well, the egg may still have been too cold.
Great with: dark lettuce, chicken dishes or asparagus.
Italian Zesty Dressing
- Put all the ingredients in a small jar and shake vigorously.
Great with: any salad or as a marinade.
Greek dress Tangy
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each orenga and marduix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Put all the ingredients in a small jar with a lid and stir until well blended.
Great with: greens, feta cheese, olives and cucumbers. Also a good marinade for one cucumber and onion salad.
Print this out spicy greek salad salad recipe here.
Sweet Asian dress
- Put all the ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake vigorously. You can also mix it with the blender or with a small food processor.
Great with: sesame chicken (as marinated sauce and gravy), over a spinach salad with cashews, over fried cauliflower rice.
Raspberry vinaigrette dressing
- Put all the ingredients in the blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
Great with: Salad with feta and cashews, grilled chicken salad, pork marinade.
Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Mix all ingredients in a small jar or blender.
Great with: any type of salad or as a marinade of beef, chicken or pork.
Roasted garlic dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until completely soft.
- Refrigerate the leftovers.
- Put all the ingredients in a small blender and mix until smooth.
Great with: any kind of salad (I like chef salads), kids like to dip things in with this garnish.
Other great things to throw in a salad:
- nuts: especially pecans, walnuts and macadamia nuts
- chopped vegetables
- chopped apples
- sliced strawberries
- grilled or baked chicken
- fillet fillet
- all of the above!
Green Goddess dress
I love throwing almost every herb I have in the garden at this one.
- 1 ½ cup fresh herbs (packaged, such as basil, coriander, parsley, tarragon, fennel fronds, dill, green onions)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth or use a medium-sized bowl and blender.
- Serve and enjoy!
What is your favorite dressing? Do you have a healthy variation? Share below.