So far there have been no arrests, but police say they are looking for “four people of interest” who were noticed “due to suspicious behavior at the crime scene.”
Home, Maldives – Maldives police have said that explosion this left Mohamed Nasheed, former president of the country and current speaker of parliament, a critical condition it was an “act of deliberate terror.”
The 53-year-old ruling party leader was rushed to the capital’s Male Hospital after a device connected to a motorcycle exploded at around 8:30 a.m. Thursday. He remains in intensive care after undergoing “a critical and life-saving successful final procedure,” ADK Hospital said Friday.
Nasheed required several surgeries over a 16-hour period to remove shrapnel and treat life-threatening injuries to his head, chest, abdomen and chest, the hospital said when police reported reporters Friday afternoon. .
President Nasheed has undergone a critical and life-saving final procedure of success this afternoon. Over the past 16 hours, she has received life-saving surgery for head, chest, abdomen and limb injuries. It remains in critical condition in intensive care.
– Hospital ADK (@ADKHospital) May 7, 2021
Police Commissioner Mohamed Hameed said there were no arrests, but authorities are trying to identify “four people of interest” who were “noticed due to suspicious behavior at the crime scene.”
“The country’s security services, including the Maldives National Defense Force and the Maldives Police Service, are currently taking all necessary measures to ensure the safety of citizens and are improving protection measures in the Male region.” , added.
Preliminary findings suggested the bomb was not made with “military-grade explosives,” said Mohamed Riyaz, deputy police commissioner, adding that no links have been established with “terrorist” foreign organizations.
There have been no claims of responsibility for the bombing that occurred when Nasheed was about to enter his car on the main road that divides the densely packed city.
Three of Nasheed’s military bodyguards along with two passers-by – a 41-year-old Maldives man and a 70-year-old British man – were also slightly injured, said Hameed, who appealed to public information and assured the anonymity of the designated telephone line people.
Local media photographed several injuries on one of the bodyguards after removing the shrapnel from his hands and feet.
In a televised speech, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih described the incident as “an attack on the democracy and economy of the Maldives” and assured a “quick and thorough investigation”.
Two Australian federal police experts will be due to arrive on Saturday morning to help with the investigation, while two British experts from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, which is currently in the Maldives, are also working with the research team, Hameed said.
An investigation into the failure of police intelligence is needed to find out about the impending attack, he admitted, while reporters questioned requests for his resignation.