The rally was to take place on Thursday and proceed through flashbacks in Israeli-occupied East Jerusalem.
Right-wing Israeli pro-settler groups have ruled out a controversial march to be held this week in Jerusalem after police refused to allow it, arguing that neither the format nor the timing of the event was the appropriate given current levels of tension in Israel. .
The so-called March of the Flags was to be held on Thursday and to advance by flaming points in Israel-occupied East Jerusalem.
“Police refused to give us permission,” said a spokesman for one of the march’s organizing groups, which led to the cancellation of the event.
The news of his cancellation came when Khalil Hayya, a senior figure in the Palestinian armed group Hamas, warned that the march could lead to further violence. It was unclear whether the cancellation was related to his statements.
Israeli police said in a statement that “the current route is not approved at this time.”
However, police said they would review a request to reschedule the event or to conduct it in a different way.
“It simply came to our notice then [Israel] against letting the march approach East Jerusalem and the Al-Aqsa Mosque complex on Thursday, “Hayya said.” We hope the message is clear so that Thursday does not become [a new] On May 10, “he said, referring to the start of last month’s 11-day fighting between Israel and Hamas, the group that rules the Gaza Strip.
The fighting came after weeks of growing tension when Israeli security forces repressed peaceful protests against the expulsion of Palestinian families in the occupied neighborhoods of Sheikh Jarrah and Silwan of East Jerusalem.
Israeli forces also cracked down on protesters at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, the third holiest site in Islam, which is also revered by Jews as the Temple Mount.
In 11 days of fighting, Israeli airstrikes and artillery fire on Gaza killed 254 Palestinians, including 66 children, and injured more than 1,900 people, according to Gaza’s health ministry.
At least 12 people, including two children, were killed in Israel as a result of the rocket and other gunfire from armed groups in Gaza. Some 357 people in Israel were injured in the attacks.
Palestinian Deputy Governor of Jerusalem Abdullah Siam had also warned of a possible “explosion.”
Meanwhile, right-wing Israelis called on the government not to succumb to “Hamas threats” by canceling the rally.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz had urged police not to let the march continue because of concerns it could rekindle fighting.
Thursday’s march was to pass through the Damascus gate of the Old City, where Israeli security forces repressed Palestinians in May, during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.