Iran says IAEA access to images of nuclear sites has ended | Middle East News

0
114


The three-month surveillance agreement between Tehran and the UN nuclear watchdog, which raises questions about the talks, has expired.

The speaker of the Iranian parliament said that a three-month surveillance agreement had expired between Tehran and the UN nuclear surveillance body and that he would cease access to images from inside some Iranian nuclear sites.

Sunday’s announcement raised further questions about the future of ongoing indirect talks between the United States and Iran reviving Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal.

“As of May 22 and with the completion of the three-month agreement, the agency (IAEA) will not have access to the data collected by cameras at the nuclear facilities agreed under the agreement,” he said. say the Speaker of Parliament, Mohammad Baqer Ghalibaf, who quoted the Speaker of Parliament.

The International Atomic Energy Agency and Tehran agreed on a three-month surveillance agreement in February to cushion Iran’s coup by reducing its cooperation with the agency and allowed it to continue monitoring some activities that otherwise they would have been helped.

IAEA chief Rafael Grossi is in talks with Iran to extend the deal.

European diplomats said last week that the failure of an agreement on an extension would cause broader indirect talks between Washington and Tehran to recapture the crisis of the 2015 deal. Those talks will resume in Vienna this week.

The IAEA had scheduled Grossi to hold a press conference on Sunday, but said he was still “consulting with Tehran” and that his press conference had been postponed until Monday morning.

It was cited that an unnamed Iranian official said the agreement between the IAEA and Tehran could be extended “conditionally” for a month.

“If it is extended for a month and if during this period the main powers … accept Iran’s legal demands, the data will be delivered to the agency. Otherwise, the images will be deleted forever,” according to the member of the Supreme Council of National Security of Iran.

Without commenting on the previous announcement by Parliament Speaker, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that Tehran would continue talks in Vienna “until a final agreement is reached”.

He also reiterated an earlier statement that “Washington has agreed to lift sanctions” on Iran, according to Iranian state media.

The US says it is unclear whether Iran is willing to return to the pact

Iran and the world powers have held several rounds of negotiations since April in Vienna, Austria, working on measures to be taken by Tehran and Washington on nuclear sanctions and activities to return to full compliance with the nuclear pact.

Iran began breaching the terms of the 2015 pact with world powers after former President Donald Trump withdrew the United States of the 2018 agreement and to re-impose sanctions.

On Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said it is still unclear whether Iran is “ready and willing” to take the necessary steps to return to compliance with the multinational nuclear deal.

The Deputy Secretary General of the European External Action Service (EEAS), Enrique Mora, and the Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi during a meeting of the JCPOA Joint Commission in Vienna, Austria. [File: EU Delegation in Vienna/Handout/Reuters]

Speaking ahead of a fifth round of talks in Vienna on rescuing the deal, Blinken was asked about Iranian reports that Washington had already agreed to lift some of the sanctions that have paralyzed the Iranian economy.

“We know what sanctions should be removed if they are inconsistent with the nuclear deal,” he told ABC this week.

He added that, most importantly, “Iran, I think, knows what it has to do to re-fulfill the nuclear part and what we have not yet seen is whether Iran is ready and willing to make a decision.





Source link