The Irish government has confirmed that it is aware that there are health risk data stolen in an ongoing cyber attack “that criminals can mistreat”.
Healthcare IT Services in the Republic of Ireland have been turned off since May 14 after the Health Service (HSE) executive said there had been a “significant ransomware attack.”
In a statement, released on 23 May, the Government of Ireland said a common feature of these attacks is “that the perpetrators are stealing data”.
“Work to identify the scope of the data extracted from HSE’s computer systems is ongoing as part of the systems repair process,” the statement added.
He said any publication of this data would be illegal and that “HSE has obtained a court order from the High Court which obliges anyone who possesses stolen data not to disclose or change it.”
Anyone suspected of being a victim of this cyberattack is asked to notify their local Garda station.
The National Cyber Security Center of Ireland has said initial reports suggest the incident is “a ransomware attack” Conti “human-operated”.
NHS Digital defines Conti as “an advanced ransomware tool that uses a unique encryption routine to identify and encrypt files in an amazing way” and can affect all types of versions of Microsoft Window.
According to the BBCAlthough those responsible for the disruption initially demanded £ 14 million (€ 20 million) to restore services, hackers have now handed over the software to help the Irish health system recover.
The Irish government has said it is testing the software and stands firm that it does not pay and does not pay hackers.
HSE has set up a page which provides service updates and appointments, including Covid-19 vaccination appointments.
“Most medical appointments will go ahead as planned, but X-ray appointments are severely affected,” the page states.