Chad’s military council lifts curfew imposed after Deby’s death | Chad News


Chad has remained tense since Deby’s death, with the army saying six people died during the protests.

Chad’s new military government has announced the lifting of a blocked curfew following the shocking death of longtime leader Idriss Deby and the installation of a military council led by her son.

On April 20, a curfew was introduced during the night, which prohibited them from leaving their homes between 18:00 (17:00 GMT) and 05:00 (04:00 GMT), hours after the army announced that Deby he was dead of the wounds suffered in the struggle with the rebel forces. The start of the curfew was postponed later at 8pm (19:00 GMT).

A decree signed by military council spokesman Azem Bermandoa Agouna says the curfew was lifted on Sunday “after assessing the steps initially taken by the Transitional Military Council (CMT) across the country and the security situation “.

Chad has remained tense since Deby’s death, and the military said six people were killed last week. manifestations in N’Djamena and in the south against what the opposition has called an “institutional coup.”

A local non-governmental organization has put the death toll at nine o’clock. More than 650 people were arrested during the protests, which had been banned by authorities.

The army has said Deby died after suffering injuries during the fighting with the rebels of the Libyan-based Front for Change and Concord in Chad (FACT), which had launched an offensive on election day on 11 April.

The announcement of Deby’s death came just a day after he was proclaimed the winner of the presidential election, and handed him a sixth term in office after 30 years in government.

Deby’s allies moved quickly to consolidate power after his death, ignoring the constitution and creating a military council led by his son, Army General Mahamat Idriss Deby, 37.

The transitional council should take place for 18 months and lead to democratic elections – a claim that opposition parties have dismissed, calling the arrangement a coup.

On Friday, the Chadian army said it had eliminated “several hundred” rebels during two days of fighting in the Nokou region, about 200 km north of the capital, N’Djamena.

The military previously said he had lost a helicopter during the fighting due to a “technical failure”, but the rebels say they fired it.

The rebels have threatened to march on N’Djamena, where an African Union team arrived on Thursday to assess the situation and examine ways to quickly return to democratic government.

Source link