Members of the Senate committee have been the latest to raise concerns about holding the tournament in Brazil amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Staff members of a Brazilian Senate investigation into the country’s manipulation of the COVID-19 pandemic have called for the postponement of the upcoming Copa America football tournament, which he cites low vaccination rates and risks of virus spread.
In a letter to the country’s football team on Sunday, members of the Senate committee said only 10.77 percent of the population had received the first doses of coronavirus vaccines as of Friday across Brazil. .
The Senate committee in late April began his investigation according to the pandemic handling of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, who has killed more than 472,000 people across the South American nation, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
“Brazil does not offer health security to hold an international tournament of this magnitude. In addition to conveying a false sense of security and normalcy, as opposed to the reality that Brazilians live in, it would favor crowds of people and set a bad example, ”the employees said in their letter.
“We are not against the Copa America in Brazil or anywhere else. But we believe the tournament can wait until the country is ready to host it. “
Staff members are the last raise concerns on plans to hold the international tournament in Brazil, as vaccination rates remain low and public health experts have warned about a new potential wave of infections.
Brazil was chosen unexpectedly last week to host the Copa America for the South American Football Confederation, CONMEBOL, after Colombia was forced to withdraw due to continuous social unrest while coexistence in Argentina was ruled out in the middle increased rates of coronavirus infection.
Bolsonaro, a skeptical COVID-19 who has rejected calls for public health measures such as locks to slow the spread of the virus, dit “As for me and all the ministers, including the health minister, everything is decided.”
But questions continue to revolve around whether the tournament will continue, with some players and coaches raising concerns.
On Wednesday, Argentine coach Lionel Scaloni said that “Brazil is not the best place”, while the Uruguayan coach of Chile, Martin Lasarte, described the decision to play the tournament in Brazil as a huge and giant risk ”.
The World Leagues Forum (WLF), which represents more than 40 professional leagues and their clubs, also said on Saturday in an open letter to FIFA and the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) that South American players should to stop playing. in the tournament.
However, Argentina said on Sunday that it would participate in the tournament, which will be held from June 13 to July 10.
Argentina “confirms its participation in the Copa America, as reflected in its sportsmanship throughout history,” the country’s football association (AFA) said in a statement.
AFA added that it would provide all the “tools needed to ensure the specific care” needed to comply with health protocols during the Cup.
Meanwhile, Brazilian media report dit this week, the country’s players don’t want to play in a hurriedly organized tournament while they’re busy playing to qualify for next year’s World Cup.
Brazilian national team captain Carlos Casemiro said the squad will make a statement on Tuesday on whether or not he wants to compete in the Copa America.