Aung San Suu Kyi in first public appearance since February arrest News from Aung San Suu Kyi


The ousted Myanmar leader appeared in the capital’s court and appeared in good health, his lawyer said.

Myanmar’s ousted leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, has appeared in public for the first time since she was arrested and her government was overthrown by the military in a February 1 coup as she attended a 30-minute court hearing in the capital Naypyidaw.

The 75-year-old was in good health and held a face-to-face meeting with her legal team before the hearing on Monday, lawyer Thae Maung Maung told Reuters news agency. All of your previous meetings have been via a video link.

The sight lasted about 30 minutes and security was tight, Frontier, a Myanmar magazine, reported.

Aung San Suu Kyi, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her struggle to build democracy in the country, but who had faced more recent criticism for her failure to condemn the brutal military repression against the predominantly Muslim Rohingya, finds among more than 4,000 people who have been detained since the generals took power.

She has been arrested under house arrest in Naypyidaw and faces a number of criminal charges, including restrictions on coronavirus during last year’s election campaign, the presence of an unlicensed walkie-talk and the rape of a law of state secrets.

Judicial appearance of Aung San Suu Kyi occurs when generals fight resistance to his government, which includes a civil disobedience movement, mass protests and a newly created armed group that was created in response to the brutal repression of the military against opposition to their coup.

The People’s Defense Force (PDF), made up of civilians armed mainly with homemade weapons, claimed to have killed nearly two dozen members of the security forces during heavy fighting in the town of Moebyel, Shan State, and Demoso in the neighboring state of Kayah, where the army brought reinforcements and armored vehicles, according to local media.

Thet Wai, a member of PDF, not his real name, told AFP news agency that at least 20 police officers were killed on Sunday and that the force seized a police station in Moebyel, which is located about 100 kilometers (60 miles) east of the capital Naypyidaw.

Protests against the coup continue in different parts of Myanmar as people show their support for Aung San Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy [Dawei Watch via AFP]

The police station was burned and rebel fighters also detained four members of the security forces, local media reported.

Videos shared on social media showed what appeared to be the uniformed bodies of security forces and smoke billowing from the destroyed police station and a police vehicle.

Other images showed four men who were said to be police officers with their hands behind their backs, their eyes covered with surgical masks.

The army took power alleging fraud in an election won by the National League for Democracy (NLD) of Aung San Suu Kyi in a landslide in November. His accusations had been dismissed by the former election commission.

Its new members appointed by the military have suggested dissolving the NLD, a proposal that was condemned by the European Union on Sunday.

On Monday, in his court appearance, Aung San Suu Kyi tried to reassure people that the NLD would continue.

“He said the party was formed for the people, so it will exist as long as the people exist,” lawyer Min Min Soe told Frontier.

Source link